Sunday 19 May 2019

Breast Vs Formula

"Breast is best" - This is a saying that you will hear mentioned regularly when you're expecting and a saying which is even written on the back of Formula Milk.


However is Breast really the best? Well the short, honest answer is undeniably "Yes".

These are some of the reasons why:
• Your breast milk is perfectly designed for your baby
• Breast milk protects your baby from infections and diseases
• Breastfeeding provides health benefits for you
• Breast milk is available for your baby whenever your baby needs it
• Breastfeeding can build a strong emotional bond between you and your baby

HOWEVER, just because something is so highly recommended by Midwives does not necessarily mean it is a decision which is right or "best" for you (or even your Bubba!)... Here's my story 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

When I was Pregnant with Isla I was adamant that I was going to Formula feed. I didn't really entertain the idea of Breastfeeding until me and Rory went along to a Nutrition and Feeding Class in early December of 2018. I remember we came out of the Class after being more informed of the benefits of Breastfeeding and we both decided it was something we wanted me to try.

Although I admit I completely underestimated how much I may struggle with Breastfeeding. Not only physically but mentally as well.

I was still in Hospital for the first 20 hours after giving birth and I had guidance from the Midwives to help Isla latch correctly so it was both comfortable for her and myself. I felt great that I was Breastfeeding after hearing so much about the great benefits of the Milk and the Colostrum 😊 (The first form of milk produced by the mammary glands of mammals immediately following delivery of the newborn).


The days that followed were definitely harder....Day 3 sticks in my head as a particularly tough day. Due to having a rough Labour (see "My Labour Story" Blog Post) I was left extremely sore and when I awoke that morning I could bearly move 😣

I never knew this before being Pregnant however when you Breastfeed your Uterus contracts and this was causing great discomfort to the point where I was doubled over in pain on the stairs, crying. On top of that my Milk was starting to come in and my Boobs were rock hard, humongous and very very sore! How the hell was I going to feed my Baby when I was in so much pain?! 😭

I was in no fit state to feed Isla and therefore I made the decision to use Formula so she would at least get fed that day. She was more than happy taking the Milk from the Bottle for the first time and I felt relived that she wasn't going without and that I could have a day to recover.


Unfortunately I wasn't aware that you shouldn't introduce Formula and drinking through a Bottle until after a month of getting to grips with Breastfeeding due to the complications it can then cause when you go back to Breastfeeding i.e. Babies then will struggle to latch. I found this out the hard way when I went back to Breastfeeding the following day. Whereas before Isla had latched perfectly fine, I was now finding it was a serious struggle. I questioned this with my Midwife who made me aware that she could just be being lazy, as it's easier to drink from a Bottle than it is to latch onto a Breast.

I was now in 2 minds. Do I give up Breastfeeding altogether or whack out my Pump and express and store my Milk so she can at least have the goodness of my Milk through a Bottle, as she now seemed to prefer 🤷🏻‍♀️

I chose to Express Pump.



However even in doing so my Breasts did not seem to be pumping enough Milk for what Isla needed and I found myself having to top her up with Formula alongside the Breastmilk just to keep her full.

After the first week it was really getting me down. I was sat attached to the Pump for 30 minutes at a time to get the amount needed for 1 feed. This was all well and good however Isla wanted to be fed every 1-2 hours and for me it was just too much on top of everything else going on.

Now I have in the past suffered badly with Anxiety and I have been quite open in talking about this and I could feel the Anxiety slowly creeping back in....I was stressing myself out massively and beating myself up 😟

Why was I not finding it as easy as other Mum's I knew who were Breastfeeding? How can I be a decent Mum to Isla if I can't even give her the goodness of my Breast Milk? 

These were 2 of many questions I began to ask myself. On top of this I was also overcome with emotion from becoming a first time Mum and having a mini me to look after as well as a house to run.

One day it just all got too much. And I now had another choice to make....Either I attempt to carry on Express Feeding or I give in and switch to Formula. After much deliberation and conversations with my Other Half we both came to the conclusion that it was time to switch to Formula. This was/is a decision I still stand by and whilst I appreciate this is not for everyone this was/is the best decision for my Family. I was no good to her being stressed, especially over something which could easily be changed.

Unlike with Breastmilk, I had noticed that Formula definitely filled Isla up for longer as well - Which was an absolute godsend at 2am in the morning!



But please don't get me wrong, I still love seeing/hearing about the Mum's who Breastfeed. Just because I've switched to Formula it does NOT mean I don't still support the Breastfeeding Mum's out there! There's #NoMumShaming on this page! All love ladies! 🙌🏻💗

Whilst my Blog Post is called "Breast VS Formula" I definitely don't believe there is a winner in this instance. The "best" is whatever choice works best for the health of you and your new Family.

I was worried that by switching to Formula it would mean I had failed as a Mummy and that the bond between me and my Little Lady wouldn't be as strong anymore. Well I can tell you that after 6 weeks of Formula Feeding the bond between us is stronger than ever!! 🥰



Products I bought for Breastfeeding:
• Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Breast Pump
• Nipple Cream
• Nipple Shields
• Breast Pads

Products I bought for Formula Feeding:
• Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Sterilising Kit
• Tommee Tippee Day And Night Prep Machine


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© From Bump To Baby Keeble
BLOGGER TEMPLATE HANDMADE BY pipdig